Your data, your way. Easily log CAN data from your vehicle / machine - and extract it via SD or WiFi. Process the interoperable data in your favorite tools - or via 100% free open source software/APIs.
Perfect for vehicle telematics, OEM development, diagnostics and more.
PLUG & PLAY
No setup needed - just connect to log (power via CAN connector & auto-detect bit rate)
CAN BUS READY
Record high speed CAN/CAN FD - incl. J1939, FMS, OBD2, CANopen, NMEA
Log data to 8-32 GB SD - no pc required. 100% power safe. 1W consumption
Devices are smaller than 8 x 5 x 3 cm and light-weight (100 G)
Auto-push data to your server/cloud via HTTP(S). Over-the-air config/FW updates
Configure filters, silent mode, encryption, cyclic logging, triggers, transmit lists & more
Interoperable formats. Open source tools for configuration, DBC conversion & more
MADE IN DK
Trusted by engineers at leading OEMs
Which CAN logger do you need?
CLX000 - low cost CAN logger/interface
The CLX000 lets you log CAN data to an SD card in CSV format - and process it via the free software tools. Further, you can stream data in real-time via USB on your PC for e.g. reverse engineering and diagnostics purposes.learn more
CANmod - sensor-to-CAN modules
The CANmod is a series of 'sensor-to-CAN' modules that output e.g. GNSS/IMU or thermocouple data. The modules integrate with any CAN bus system - incl. as add-ons for the CANedge.learn more
100% free & open source software/API tools
Easily configure devices & process data via free software tools.
- Configure devices via simple GUI editors
- Convert your data to CSV, Vector ASC or PEAK TRC
- DBC decode CAN data to physical values and plot
- Visualize your data in customizable browser dashboards
- Manage your CANedge2 IoT devices & data remotely
Convert your data to CSV, Vector ASC or PEAK TRC. DBC decode it to physical values and create graphical plots. Or visualize your data in customizable browser dashboards - your choice!learn more
If you're in doubt which CAN logger to choose, contact us - we always respond fast with quality sparring.
Below is our 'rule of thumb' guidance:
- CL1000: If you only need to stream data via USB
- CL2000: If you need to both stream data via USB and log data to an SD card
- CANedge1: If you only need to log data to an SD card
- CANedge2: If you need to log data to an SD card and transfer it via a WiFi/3G/4G access point to your own server
Overall, the CANedge (and related software) is far superior for SD card logging - and we strongly recommend this series, unless you explicitly require USB streaming. If you need to collect data frequently/automatically/remotely, see the CANedge2.
|169 EUR||229 EUR||299 EUR||449 EUR|
|CAN & LIN||CL1000||CL2000||CANedge1||CANedge2|
|# of CAN channels||1||1||2||2|
|# of LIN channels||2||2|
|RTC with battery backup (resolution)
i All loggers except the CL1000 have a real-time clock for timestamping each data frame with the absolute date & time. The CANedge timestamp resolution is 20x higher than the CLX000, which is relevant as the CANedge is able to log a far higher number of frames per second.
|Yes (1 ms)||Yes (0.05 ms)||Yes (0.05 ms)|
i The CLX000 is able to log up to around 800-1000 frames without message-loss. The CANedge is designed for lossless logging at any busload and has been used in various use cases to record 4000+ frames/second (2000+ per channel). In practice, most CAN bus applications broadcast between 500-1500 frames/second.
|SD card logging
i All loggers have an 8 GB SD card as the default card (optional 32 GB SD card upgrade)
|Industrial & extractable SD
i The CLX000 enables log file transfer via USB (~0.5 MB/s), while the CANedge enables log file transfer via the extractable industrial micro SD card (~80 MB/s)
|Log file format
i The CLX000 logs in a simple CSV-style TXT format. The CANedge logs in the MDF4 (.MF4) log file format is a standardized and popular binary format for logging e.g. CAN bus and LIN bus data. It is supported by various existing software and API tools
|.TXT||.TXT||MDF4 (.MF4)||MDF4 (.MF4)|
i Cyclic logging lets the device overwrite the oldest file once the SD card is full
|Bit-rate auto detection
i The device can auto-detect the bit rate for most applications. It is also possible to select a manual bit-rate from a list of standard bit-rates. Further, the CANedge supports advanced bit-rate customization
|Filters & prescaling
i The CLX000 supports up to 8 "acceptance" CAN ID filters using "masks", while the CANedge supports 64 extended or 128 regular CAN ID filters per channel. The CANedge filters can be set to either "acceptance" or "rejection" - and you can define both "masks" and "ranges" for the filters. The CLX000 supports basic 'Count' prescaling to log only e.g. every 5th frame. The CANedge supports both a Count, Time and Data prescaler type
i The CLX000 supports up to 20 custom transmit frames, while the CANedge supports up to 64 custom transmit frames per channel
|Control signal (trigger)
i The CLX000 supports start/stop of logging based on the presence of a specific CAN ID. The CANedge extends this to be able to trigger logging/transmitting on specific databyte values as well (e.g. if EngineSpeed exceeds a specific threshold)
|Data compression & encryption
i The CANedge enables optional compression of data to reduce file size by 50-80% vs. uncompressed data (and vs. the CLX000 log files).
Further, the CANedge can encrypt data so that it can only be read via a password - e.g. to ensure GDPR/CCPA compliance as well as ensure that the data has not been tampered with
|USB streaming to PC
i The CLX000 has a USB connector to allow streaming of data in real-time via USB to a PC. The streamed data can be displayed in SavvyCAN or Wireshark and e.g. analyzed for reverse engineering
|Secure WiFi data transfer
i The CANedge2 can auto-push log files via WiFi access points (incl. e.g. 3G/4G USB hotspots) to your own S3 server (e.g. an AWS S3 cloud or a free MinIO S3 server). Data can be uploaded via HTTP or secure HTTPS. The WiFi connection also allows the CANedge2 to auto-sync the RTC to ensure that large fleets of devices are in time sync
i The CLX000 INI config can be modified via a text editor or via the free CANvas software. The CANedge JSON config can be modified via a text editor or the free online/offline editor tools. For the CANedge2, we also provide a simple batch manager tool for updating multiple devices over-the-air
|DBC conversion support
i The CLX000 log files can be DBC converted via the free CANvas software. The CANedge log files can be DBC converted via e.g. the free open source asammdf software or Python API
|Convert data to e.g. ASC, TRC
i The CLX000 log files can be converted to Vector ASC or PEAK TRC via the CANvas software tool.
The CANedge log files can be converted via simple drag & drop converters, which can also be used in scripts or via the command line. The CANedge converters support multiple formats including Vector ASC, PEAK TRC, CSV and the CLX000 TXT format
|Graphical plot support
i The asammdf GUI enables easy graphical plots of DBC converted data
|Data processing API
i The CANedge log files can be processed via Python APIs for e.g. automatic analysis of large amounts of data.
Further, S3 APIs can be used for easily managing uploaded data & device files on your server - enabling fully automated systems e.g. for BI integration or data dashboards
i The CANedge data can be easily visualized via free, open source and customizable browser dashboards (e.g. via Grafana). This is particularly useful in combination with the automatic data collection of the CANedge2
i CANcloud is a free optional browser tool for the CANedge2. It lets you log in to your server via the browser and manage your connected devices & data. For example you can monitor devices in the field via the status dashboard and perform easy over-the-air updates
|L x W x H (mm)
i Note that the CANedge2 antennna is excluded in the measurements
|66.7 x 42.7 x 23.5||66.7 x 42.7 x 23.5||52.5 x 81.4 x 24.5||52.5 x 81.4 x 24.5|
|Enclosure||ABS Plastic||ABS Plastic||Aluminium||Aluminium|
The comparison table can also be downloaded as an Excel here.
The CANedge series is the 2nd generation of the CLX000 series and provides a range of improvements:
- Aluminum enclosure: The new enclosure is far more robust and enables use of different external WiFi antennas
- 5V power out: Easily power e.g. a 3G/4G hotspot via the 2nd port using a DB9-USB adapter (CANedge2)
- Channels: 2xCAN/LIN channels, enabling logging from 2 CAN + 2 LIN buses in parallel
- Industrial SD: The CANedge uses an industrial SD card, improving performance, life time, temperature range & more
- Extractable SD: The SD can be extracted to transfer data at 80 MB/s (vs 0.5 MB/s for the CLX000 via USB)
Log files & software/API
- MDF4 log files: Popular binary MDF4 format - more compact than CSV, faster to process, supported by many CAN tools
- CANcloud: Open source CANcloud browser tool makes it easy to manage log files and e.g. configure devices (incl. OTA)
- JSON SChema: Config files are based on the JSON Schema concept, supported by many open source tools
- asammdf GUI: Enables user-friendly MDF4 log file editing, DBC-conversion (incl. OBD2/J1939), graphical plots & more
- asammdf API: Easily process your data at scale and automate the creation of e.g. reports/databases/dashboards
- Converters: Open source light-weight converters enable drag & drop/CLI conversion of MDF4 into e.g. *.csv and *.asc
- Lossless: The CANedge can log extreme bus loads with zero message loss (the CLX000 is limited to ~1000 frames/sec )
- Advanced configuration: More advanced filters & transmit lists (e.g. up to 128 filters vs. 8 on CLX000)
- Advanced triggers: Start/stop logging based on CAN ID & databyte values
- Compression: Optional compression lets you reduce log file size by 50-70%
- Encryption: Optional encryption lets you encrypt CAN data on the SD card
- Precision: 20x higher RTC resolution (50 micro seconds) - with advanced WiFi RTC sync
- Boot time: Much faster boot time vs the CLX000 (~1 sec vs. ~10 sec)
- CAN FD: Supports CAN FD (Flexible Data-Rate) data logging, making it future proof
- WiFi: Vastly improved WiFi (stability, range, dynamic switching between 1-5 WiFi access points, device status updates)
- Over-the-air updates: Update device configuration/firmware over-the-air (OTA) with a few clicks - incl. via batch tools
- Security: Secure HTTPS transfers (instead of unsecured FTP). Encrypted credentials on SD
- Clouds: S3 interface enables plug & play integration in e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, Azure - and free S3 servers like MinIO
- S3 API: The S3 API enables easy automation of your server file management incl. e.g. OTA updates and log file processing
Further, the CANedge series will be our focus for new firmware upgrades - meaning you'll see a lot of powerful features added in addition to the above over the coming period. The main use case where a CLX000 is optimal is if you primarily need to stream real-time CAN data via USB (which is not supported by the CANedge series).
The CAN loggers are plug & play, letting you record raw CAN data out-the-box:
- Connect the device to your CAN bus (optionally using one of our DB9 adapter cables)
- The device powers on, detects the bit rate and starts logging raw data to the SD card
- Disconnect the device, extract the SD and insert it into your PC (or extract via USB for the CLX000)
- From here, you can open the raw log files in the free open source software to DBC decode & analyze it
In addition, there are vast configuration options and ways to utilize the software/APIs as part of your CAN data acquisition.
For more details, see the get started guides which go through each step of the CAN logging and data processing.
Below we detail what type of data you can record with our CAN bus systems (split by protocol, application and parameters):
All devices can log data from any high-speed CAN bus system (ISO 11898-2) - incl. higher layer protocols.
- J1939 (trucks, tractors, forklifts)
- OBD2 (cars, light trucks)
- CANopen (machinery, robotics)
- DeviceNet (automation)
- NMEA 2000 (boats, ships)
- FMS (similar to J1939)
- MilCAN (military, defense)
- ISOBUS (ISO 11783) (agriculture, ...)
- UDS (Unified Diagnostic Services)
The CANedge can also log the below:
The Controller Area Network is used in practically all automotives today and many machinery applications.
The devices allow you to log all broadcasted CAN bus data - as well as request e.g. OBD2/DTC data.
- Speed, Engine RPM, MAF
- Temperatures (oil, coolant)
- Throttle & brake position
- Fuel level & rate
- Diagnostic trouble codes
- Tire pressure, ABS
- Hydraullic pressure
- Engine torque, exhaust
- Gear position
- ... and much more
Note: CAN data acquisition lets you record data in raw form, which means it needs to be decoded to human-readable form (aka 'scaled engineering values' or 'physical values') - so that you can plot and analyze it. This requires a CAN bus decoder software/API/script and a DBC file (database of CAN bus decoding rules).
Our CAN loggers are used in many different use cases - incl. below examples:
The CANedge is ideal for telematics in e.g. J1939 heavy duty vehicle fleets or warehouses
For OEMs, CANloggers are core in developing e.g. ECUs and powertrains in test bench setups & dynos
CAN bus decoders are key in optimizing fuel costs, driver safety, vehicle emissions, boost performance etc.
Automated access to vehicle data can be a key enabler in both regular, preventive and predictive maintenance
Late-stage prototype development requires low cost standalone blackbox vehicle data loggers for field tests
CAN loggers can be used to log/stream OBD2 data ideal for e.g. analysis of driving behavior or diagnostics
Data is increasingly critical in managing electric vehicle batteries (EV batteries) - e.g. in forklifts and AGVs
The CLX000 provides a powerful CAN bus sniffer solution for e.g. car hacking and reverse engineering
See also our case studies & reviews section with practical use cases from our end users.
We provide free software for all our devices - as well as APIs for the CANedge:
Free Software & API Tools (CANedge)
The CANedge MF4 log files can be easily converted via the free open source MF4 converters - e.g. to CSV, ASC (Vector), TRC (PEAK) and more - allowing you to load data in your favorite tools
The open source asammdf has an easy-to-use GUI tool for Windows/Linux that lets you read, edit, export, DBC convert and plot MF4 log files from the CANedge2 (incl. OBD2 or J1939)
You can easily set up 100% free and customizable browser dashboards to enable CAN bus telematics. We provide the key tools and a full step-by-step guide for setting this up via Grafana
CANcloud lets you manage your CANedge devices & data in your browser. Simply login to your S3 server to e.g. download files or update devices over-the-air. 100% open source
The CANedge2 stores data on your server as 'S3 objects', which is supported by open APIs/SDKs for all major languages. This lets you automate data processing, over-the-air updates etc.
Free Software Tools (CLX000)
CANvas is a Windows tool that lets you configure your CLX000, stream data via USB in Wireshark - or convert log file data to human-readable form (e.g. OBD2 data - or J1939 data via DBC). Ideal for batch processing log files.
SavvyCAN is a Windows/Linux GUI tool for streaming CAN data via the CLX000 (or loading log files). It offers real-time DBC decoding, visual plots and powerful tools for reverse engineering & diagnostics.
The Wireshark plugin lets you stream real-time raw or DBC converted CAN data from the CLX000 - and provides a powerful trace view for CAN bus reverse engineering
Note: All the above tools are 100% optional - you can use the CLX000/CANedge devices without any of the above.
Yes, the CANedge series is designed for easy white labeling:
- The CANedge SD card, configuration files, log files etc. are "sanitized" by default - i.e. no mention of product/company name
- The CANedge can be purchased without the front logo silk print and the backside label can be removed
- The CANcloud open source software is designed for easy logo/color customization via CSS styling
- You host your own server (with no vendor lock-in) - i.e. we do not charge any subscription fees or similar
- With the S3 & MDF4 APIs, it's simple to create e.g. automated reports, dashboards or database integrations
- For large volume orders, we can offer custom labels & frontside stickers
To learn more about our white label options, please contact us.
- We ship within 1-2 work days with express (1-3 days) or free (8-12 days) shipping
- We ship globally - if your country is not listed during check-out, contact us
- Unless otherwise stated, all products are in stock
Still have questions?
Contact us! We answer within 24 hours!