Log data out-the-box. Standalone - no PC required. Power via CAN connector
Extractable 8-32 GB SD. 2xCAN/LIN. CAN FD. Zero data loss. 50 µs RTC. Error frames. MF4
Only 8 x 5 x 2 CM. 100G. Aluminium enclosure. 4 LEDs. Configurable 5V power out (CH2)
Advanced filters. Transmit lists. Triggers. Cyclic logging. Silent mode
Industrial SD card. Read data at 80 MB/s. Data encryption for GDPR/CCPA
Pro specs CAN logger
- at half the cost
The CANedge1 combines innovative design, cutting-edge components - and incredibly low costs:
- Dual high speed CAN/LIN (incl. CAN FD) channels
- Extractable 8-32 GB industrial SD card (= months of data)
- Binary MDF4 log file format (extensive software support)
- Advanced message filtering & transmit functionality
- Start/stop logging triggers based on CAN ID & databytes
- Silent mode, bit rate auto-detection, cyclic logging
- Data compression & encryption (e.g. for GDPR, CCPA)
- Support for CAN/LIN error frame logging
- Fast boot time. Safely disconnect during use
Open source software/API
The CANedge1 uses open formats (MDF4 data, JSON config, S3 server) - and all software/APIs are 100% free and open source.
The software toolbox includes:
- Editors: Easily modify your device config (online/offline)
- Converters: Convert data to Vector ASC, PEAK TRC, CSV, ...
- asammdf GUI: DBC convert, plot and export your data
- Python API: Automate your data processing & integrations
- Dashboards: Visualize data in custom browser dashboards
Do you have any questions?Contact us
|Functionality||Standalone CAN bus data logger with SD card and 2xCAN/LIN channels (incl. CAN FD)|
|Firmware||Supports free firmware updates for adding features|
|Configuration||Configuration files based on the popular open source JSON schema concept|
|Software||Free open source editor tool for easy device configuration (offline/online version available)|
|Free open source asammdf software & API for editing, DBC converting & plotting MDF4 data|
|Free open source C++ MF4 converters - drag & drop log files to convert into e.g. CSV, ASC, PCAP|
|Free open source data processing Python API - e.g. for use in setting up browser dashboards|
|Safety||CE, FCC, IC and RoHS certified (see the manual)|
|Tested for voltage transients (emissions/immunity), ISO 7637-2:2011, by TUV SUD (see the manual)|
|Support||Free, fast & high quality support|
|Channels||2 x CAN/CAN FD channels|
|Standard||ISO 11898: Compliant with CAN (up to 1 Mbit/s) and ISO & Bosch CAN FD (up to 5 Mbit/s)|
|Protocols||Log raw data from CAN based protocols (J1939/FMS, CANopen, NMEA 2000, OBD2, CAN FD, UDS, ...)|
|Identifiers||Compliant with CAN specifications 2.0A (11-Bit ID) and 2.0B (29-Bit ID)|
|Bit-Rate Auto-Detect||Bit rate can be auto-detected or set manually|
|Retransmission||Configurable retransmission of frames that have lost arbitration or been disturbed by errors|
|Transceiver Protection||±16 kV HBM ESD, ±15 kV IEC ESD, ±70 V bus fault, short circuit|
|Common mode input voltage: ±30 V|
|TXD dominant timeout (prevents network blocking in the event of a failure)|
|Channels||2 x LIN channels|
|Publisher/Subscriber||Each LIN channel can be configured as a LIN subscriber/publisher with support for LIN data transmission|
|Custom length||Support for custom frame lengths|
|Standard||Compliant with LIN 2.0 up to 20 Kbit/s (support for Classic & Enhanced checksum format)|
|Transceiver Protection||±8 kV HBM ESD, ±1.5 kV CDM, ±58 V bus fault|
|TXD dominant timeout (prevents network blocking in the event of a failure)|
|SD Card||8 GB extractable Class 10 industrial micro SD (SDHC) included (optional 32GB) - read at 80 MB/s
The device uses a class 10 industrial micro SD card with strong specs:
|Parallel CAN/LIN||Record data from up to 2 x CAN channels + 2 x LIN channels, simultaneously|
|Real-Time Clock||Yes - CAN frames are date & timestamped with 50 microsecond resolution (battery backup)|
|The RTC can be configured to match local time zones (default: UTC)|
|Log File Format||Log data in industry standard binary MF4 (easily convert to e.g. CSV, ASC, pandas, MATLAB, ...)|
|Data Compression||Configurable embedded log file zipping (~50-80% size reduction)|
|Silent Mode||Configurable silent mode: Restricted (acknowledge only) or monitoring (zero transmission)|
|Filters||128/64 regular/extended ID filters per channel (range, mask, acceptance, rejection, prescaling)|
|Transmit||Transmit lists of CAN frames per channel (single-shot/periodic) - e.g. for OBD2 requests|
|CAN Error Frames||Support for logging CAN error frames (bit-stuffing, form, CRC, bit, acknowledgement)|
|LIN Error Frames||Support for logging LIN error frames (checksum, receive, synchronization, transmission)|
|Remote Frames (RTR)||Support for logging/transmission of remote CAN frames (RTR)|
|Cyclic Logging||Optional cyclic logging mode (oldest log file is deleted when SD card is full)|
|Advanced Triggers||Control signal lets you start/stop logging based on custom CAN IDs & data thresholds|
|CAN Heartbeat||Optionally transmit heartbeat CAN frame with device status, storage used & RTC time|
|File Split||Configurable log file split size (by size: 1-512 MB and/or by time period: 0-86400s)|
|Power Safe||100% power safe data logging - no file corruption when disconnected|
|Unique Device ID||Each device has a globally unique ID ensuring unique log file naming|
|Data Encryption||Log files can be encrypted at rest on the SD card for security/GDPR/CCPA purposes|
|Input Supply||+7V to +32V DC via the Channel 1 DB9 (e.g. via CAN connector power pin)|
|Power Consumption||Extremely low (~1 W) - no risk of battery drainage|
|Protection||Reverse voltage protection on CAN-bus supply|
|Transient voltage event protection on supply lines|
|Enclosure & Weight||Compact aluminium enclosure: 52.5 x 81.4 x 24.5 mm (L x W x H), 100 grams|
|Connector||2 x Standard D-sub 9 (DB9) connectors (optional OBD2/J1939/... adapters)|
|Pin-Out||See the product manual for the DB9 connector pin-outs|
|Configurable Power Out||Channel 2 can be configured to supply 5V to 1-3 external modules|
|LEDs||Logger status via 4 external LEDs: Power, CH1, CH2, Memory|
|Temperature||Operating temperature (parts): -25degC to +70degC|
|IP Rating||IP Rating 40|
The CANedge1 is a powerful, standalone CAN logger for standalone CAN logging, diagnostics and development.
Note: If you need to remotely collect data via WiFi/3G/4G, check out the CANedge2.
Vehicle 'black box'
Need to monitor data from your vehicle fleet?
The CANedge1 is ideal for recording data over long periods from fleets - incl. cars (via OBD2) and heavy-duty vehicles (via J1939). With filters, compression & cyclic logging you can log years of data. This makes the device well-suited as an automotive data logger for e.g. warranty/legal data storage or optimization.
Rare issue identification
Need to identify a rare, but critical issue?
If you have e.g. production equipment that periodically exhibts an issue the CANedge1 is a great diagnostics tool. Simply connect it and leave it in. If the issue occurs, you can extract the raw data, DBC convert it and plot it for quick diagnostics.
Equipment development & optimization
Need to optimize your CAN based equipment based on long-term data?
The standalone CANedge1 is ideal for recording data from equipment deployed in the field: It's durable, compact and simple to install. You can e.g. pre-configure the device - and ship it to the end-users for installation.
The CANedge is our "next generation" CAN logger series - and the CANedge1 is the new generation of the CL2000.
We've taken all the learnings & feedback from the CLX000 series and applied it in the CANedge series.
Key improvements with the CANedge1 include:
- Extractable SD: The SD can be extracted to transfer data at 80 MB/s (vs 0.5 MB/s for the CLX000 via USB)
- Industrial SD: The CANedge uses an industrial SD card, improving performance, life time, temperature range & more
- Channels: 2xCAN channels, which enables logging from 2 CAN buses in parallel
- Aluminum enclosure: New enclosure is far more robust, while still extremely compact
- Power out: Power external modules via the 2nd port e.g. a GPS-to-CAN or Temperature-to-CAN module
Log files & software/API
- MDF4 log files: Popular binary MDF4 format - more compact than CSV, faster to process, supported by many CAN tools
- Configuration: Open source configuration editor can be used either online/offline via your browser
- JSON Schema: Config files are based on the standardized JSON Schema concept, supported by many open source tools
- asammdf GUI: Enables user-friendly MDF4 log file editing, DBC-conversion (incl. OBD2/J1939), graphical plots & more
- asammdf API: Easily process your data at scale and automate the creation of e.g. reports/databases/dashboards
- Converters: Open source light-weight converters enable drag & drop/CLI conversion of MDF4 into e.g. *.csv and *.asc
- Lossless: The CANedge can log extreme bus loads with zero message loss (the CLX000 is limited to ~1000 frames/sec )
- Compression: Optional compression lets you reduce file size by 50-80% vs. the CLX000
- Encryption: Optional encryption lets you encrypt log files on the SD card for added security
- Advanced configuration: More advanced filters & transmit lists (e.g. up to 128 filters vs. 8 on CLX000)
- Precision: 20x higher RTC resolution (50 micro seconds) - with advanced WiFi RTC sync
- Boot time: Much faster boot time vs the CLX000 (~1 sec vs. ~10 sec)
- CAN FD: The CANedge supports CAN FD (Flexible Data-Rate), making it future proof
Further, the CANedge CAN bus data logger series will be our focus for new firmware upgrades - meaning you'll see a lot of powerful features added in addition to the above over the coming period.
The size of a raw MDF4 log files depends on the type of application. However, on average a raw CAN bus log file will be ~50-100 MB/hour if no configuration changes are made.
With an 8 GB SD card, the CANedge would thus be able to record about ~80-160 hours of non-stop data.
However, the CANedge is designed to optimize this drastically via below configuration options:
- Compression: Enabling compression will reduce the data size by 50-80%
- Filters: You can specify which CAN IDs to accept or reject (incl. via ranges and masks)
- Prescalers: You can selectively prescale filtered CAN IDs by count, period or data. This e.g. lets you record only every 5th observation, or one observation per 500 ms. The data prescaler lets you record observations only if data byte X or Y changes
- Control signal: This lets you specify when to start/stop logging based on CAN ID and data byte patterns
By using these options, most users end up with ~4-15 MB/hour. On an 8 GB SD card, this results in 500-2000 hours of non-stop data (1-3 months). On a 32 GB SD card, this corresponds to 2000-8000 hours of non-stop data (4-12 months).
Should the SD card become full, enabling cyclic logging will allow the CANedge CAN data logger to keep recording data by deleting the oldest log files first.
The CANedge1 CAN logger is superior when it comes to logging data to the SD card vs. the CL2000. However, the CANedge1 does not support real-time streaming via USB. For this type of use case, we would recommend e.g. the CL2000.
In the below, we outline the basics of how you get started logging raw CAN data.
- Connect the device to your CAN bus (optionally using one of our DB9 adapter cables)
- The device powers on, detects the bit rate and starts logging raw data to the SD card
- Disconnect the device, extract the mini SD and insert it into your PC (optionally via an SD adapter)
- From here, you can open the raw log files in e.g. the asammdf GUI/API for export/DBC conversion
- Alternatively, you can simply drag & drop the raw data onto a small executable on the SD card to convert to e.g. CSV
The CANedge1 CAN bus analyzer can record data from any high speed CAN bus application (ISO 11898-2). In practice, this includes raw data from almost all vehicles (cars, trucks, tractors, forklifts, buses, motorcycles, electric vehicles, ...) - as well as various production machinery, EV batteries/BMS and more. Most planes and boats also use CAN bus. In terms of protocols, this encompasses e.g. SAE J1939, CANopen, NMEA 2000, FMS, OBD2 and more.
For the specific case of OBD2 vehicle data, the CANedge1 can transmit up to 64 custom CAN messages periodically, which means it can be used as an OBD2 data logger. Note that you need to verify that your car uses CAN as basis for the OBD2 communication (this is the case for all US cars produced after 2008 e.g.). Also, note that all cars differ in the amount of OBD2 parameters they support - and the CANedge1 is of course only able to record the supported data.
The CANedge1 is a pro CAN logger, matching the specs of some of the best loggers on the market - at <30% of the cost.
At the same time, it's designed to be really simple-to-use, e.g. being able to log raw CAN data without any configuration. You can literally take it out of the box, connect it to your vehicle/machine CAN bus - and get data logged to the SD card.
The CAN logger also uses non-proprietary formats for configuration files (JSON Schema) and log files (ASAM MDF4). This means that the device is interoperable with many different software tools on the market. In particular, we recommend 100% free open source solutions such as the simple editor tool and the asammdf GUI/API for easy processing of raw log file data.
We also provide a simple open executable for converting raw MDF4 data into e.g. CSV, Vector's ASC or PEAK's TRC format.
The CANedge1 CAN data logger does not have built-in GPS, but it's easy to add due to the modular design.
Specifically, the 2nd port can be configured to supply 5V power to 1-3 external modules.
As such, you can power your CANedge1 CAN logger via the 1st port - and add our CANmod.gps GPS-to-CAN module in the 2nd port. The data from the GPS module will then be recorded on the CANedge1 SD card (i.e. it's not sent into the CAN bus, retaining silent mode). You can naturally set this up while at the same time logging other CAN data via Channel 2 at the same time.
We offer a 32 GB upgrade (it's an option when you buy from our site), using tested industrial SD cards. You can also add your own SD card (up to 32 GB), though we recommend to thoroughly test the device performance in this case. If you aim to use the CANedge as a CAN bus data logger for long-term recording of CAN bus data, our 32 GB card upgrade is recommended.
Do you have any questions?Contact us