Need to easily collect CAN/J1939/OBD2 data from a fleet of vehicles?
If you're doing vehicle telematics, predictive maintenance or e.g. remote troubleshooting, you need constant access to your latest data in one place.
Here, physically extracting data logs from each vehicle is simply not an option.
However, with the CL3000's Push mode, you can easily log CAN data from 100+ assets and auto-sync it to your FTP/cloud server via WiFi/cellular hotspots!
Below we explain how it works, use cases, benefits - and how to get started.
What is the CL3000 Push Mode?
The CL3000 wireless CAN analyzer is a low cost CAN logger with SD card.
It records data from any high speed CAN bus application and transfers the data via WiFi hotspots (incl. e.g. 3G/4G).
The CL3000 supports 3 WiFi data transfer modes:
Access Point Mode: This lets you access the CL3000 as a WiFi hotspot via your PC, phone or tablet - great collecting data a few meters away
Station Mode: With this, the CL3000 connects to a WiFi hotspot and you’ll be able to access a web interface to easily download or delete log files
Push Mode: This is the ideal mode for fleets - each logger connects to a WiFi hotspot and then auto-pushes log files to your cloud server
Below we list in detail what happens when the CL3000 is in Push mode:
- You connect the CL3000 to the CAN bus of e.g. a vehicle and it starts logging data to the SD card
- When a specified WiFi hotspot is in range (e.g. a USB 4G hotspot), the CL3000 automatically starts uploading log files
- The CL3000 connects to your server (via FTP), uploads a file and then deletes it on the SD card
- This continues as long as there's a WiFi connection and log files on the SD card (the CL3000 logs data simultaneously)
- You control the log file size (down to 1MB), meaning transfer can happen e.g. every minute with stable connections
- On your server, a script can process the files - or you can use CANvas' DBC auto-conversion
- The setup scales easily: Each log file name include the logger ID and you can e.g. specify unique target folders for each device
No manual interaction is required - meaning that you can automatically create e.g. output databases for various use cases.
Push Mode Use Case Examples
Below we list some of the popular use cases for the CL3000 Push mode:
FLEET MONITORING: By installing the low cost CL3000 and a USB WiFi hotspot in each vehicle, you can monitor large fleets in near real-time (e.g. trucks, buses, tractors, cars) - creating a low cost platform for your telematics needs
PREDICTIVE MAINTENANCE: Vehicle/machine breakdowns are extremely costly. However, problems can often be predicted by identifying suspicious CAN bus data patterns, comparing recent data vs. historical patterns using server side scripts
REMOTE TROUBLESHOOTING: If your equipment fails at client sites, you'll want to resolve problems fast. By giving your technicians access to the latest CAN data on your server, they can solve most problems much faster - and without having to travel
WAREHOUSE OPTIMIZATION: The CL3000 is great for monitoring warehouse vehicles (forklifts, AGVs, ...) as the device can push data via the warehouse WLAN - this provides a low cost method for e.g. managing EV battery performance
COMPLIANCE SIMPLIFICATION: By collecting all your vehicle data on your server, you'll have easy access to e.g. driving hours (e.g. for ELD/HOS regulations) and emissions data - and full control on how you utilize and store this data
UNDERSTAND YOUR FLEET: For both OEMs and end users, truly optimizing your fleet requires in-depth understanding through trend analyses across segments. Even if your team is not ready to fully leverage your fleet's data, you need to start logging it asap
Benefits of the CL3000 Push Mode
The CL3000 Push mode offers a range of powerful benefits:
PLUG & PLAY
It's extremely simple to set up: Just add your hotspot SSID & pass and your server's URL/IP, user & pass
Connect the CL3000 - and leave it. Data is auto-synced to your cloud - and with CANvas you can even auto-convert it
NEAR REAL TIME
You control when log files are "split". You can e.g. set the file split to 1MB to transfer files in near real-time
ACCESS ALL DATA ANYWHERE
With your CAN data in the cloud, you can always access your latest vehicle & machine data remotely
The CL3000 can connect to any WiFi hotspot - e.g. 3G/4G hotspots, smartphones or WiFi WLANs
With Push mode, there's no limit to how many CL3000 units you can put in the field - ideal for fleet management
How to Configure the CL3000 Push Mode
Setting up the CL3000 Push mode is easy:
- Connect your CL3000 via USB to your PC
- Open CANvas and go to 'CONFIGURE LOGGER'.
- In the WiFi tab, choose Station Mode and add your WiFi's SSID & password
- In the FTP tab, add your server's URL/IP, target folder, user & password
- Use the CANvas test button to verify your hotspot and server connections
- Test Server: You can create a free account at e.g. Exavault for testing purposes
- Server URL/IP: This could e.g. be 'csscloud.exavault.com'
- Directory: You can e.g. set up a folder for each logger - or use the default root '/'
- User Rights: Ensure that the user has Create/Edit/Delete rights on the FTP/cloud server
- Firewall: Ensure that your server firewall allows FTP transfer (e.g. on PC FTP servers, open Port 21)
- Multiple Connections: Ensure that your server allows for multiple connections - otherwise some CL3000s may be rejected
- Multiple Users: It is recommended to add a unique user/pass for each CL3000
For more details on configuring your CL3000, check our WiFi configuration guide.
Below is an example of an FTP server on ExaVault where a number of 1 MB CAN bus log files have been uploaded.
Ready to try out the CL3000 in your vehicle fleet?
Then learn more about our CLX000 CAN logger below!
Liked this article? Please share!
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU