Being able to stream live CAN bus data is a core functionality in a versatile CAN bus analyzer.
But we thought:
"Why stop there?"
What if we integrate a simple-to-use CAN analyzer with the world's most popular network analyzer, Wireshark?
The result is a truly powerful platform for real-time CAN bus analysis!
We therefore upgraded the CANLoggerX000 data logger to act as a CAN bus interface, including integration with Wireshark.
Further, we enhanced Wireshark with a new Plugin - adding DBC support, CAN sniffing support, OBD2 conversion and more!
In this article, we focus on the new OBD2 dissector as we use a CANLogger2000 to stream live OBD2 data from an Audi A4.
Specifically, we cover how to stream with a CANLoggerX000, the OBD2 dissector and 6 tips for using Wireshark with CAN bus.
To see this in action, check out our 2 minute video above!
WHY USE WIRESHARK FOR CAN BUS INTERFACING?
As evident from the video, the CANLoggerX000 is an extremely simple-to-use CAN interface - live streaming in just a few clicks.
By leveraging Wireshark, we offer functionality to match or exceed many of the best CAN interface software out there. For free!
Further, Wireshark's CAN bus functionality is very easy to extend. To prove this, we had an easy OBD2 filter made to convert raw OBD2 messages into human-readable output using the Wikipedia OBD-II PID documentation. This was done in 1-2 days and is working smoothly!
The versatility of Wireshark coupled with the simplicity of the CANLoggerX000 makes for an excellent combo tool for both hobbyists, CAN spys / hackers as well as the more advanced performance optimizers and diagnostics testers.
Below are a few key advantages of the CANLoggerX000 over other CAN bus interfaces:
- You can easily add new plugins to Wireshark - e.g. dissectors, special views, new features and more
- The CANLoggerX000/Wireshark solution offers functionality on par with the most popular CAN and OBD2 interfaces ...
- … while the CANLoggerX000 also doubles as a stand-alone CAN bus data logger to log data to an SD card (no PC required)
- In particular, you can access the logger as an interface with Wireshark while logging - and disconnect with no disruption
- Our plugin comes with built-in OBD2 support, DBC support (incl. J1939), 'trace view' (for reverse engineering) and much more!
HOW TO GET STARTED?
To replicate this article, you’ll need the following,
Note that our Wireshark plugin is open source and can be further developed - let us know if you decide to add something!